This piece titled "Bergschrund Ablation" was created using porcelain and a light blue glaze. I have been researching imagery of Glaciers to inspire my glacial series of work. 22"H x 16" W
Newest work in the Colluvium Series, This piece is 32"W x 24" H. The balance of the weight on the small points gives this piece life...
I create these pieces through pinching, and using hardware cloth covered in slip and porcelain. These pieces signify my response to the current state of the landscape in which we are observing.
This Pitcher was thrown on the wheel. I used a process of transferring the image to the surface during the green-ware stage using black underglaze. I then applied slips and underglazed polka dots. After the bisque I applied a high expansion glaze and a clear to the surface to create texture and in contrast a smooth surface.
During my Winter class I introduced 3D printing in PLA Filament. I had each student produce a texture stamp in Tinkercad. There is also a two-part mold and extruder dye.
I have recently started to add more to my palette. I have started to use black clay and ram-press it into my molds. This piece was fired to cone 6 in oxidation using Blackbird Clay which is not mined anymore. This clay is a precious material. Conceptually my work deals with finite resources and the idea that the earth is seen as a commodity rather than a precious material. I think this piece speaks volumes about that concept.
Brookhaven College has received a new 3D Printer from Makerbot in our Engineering Department. Both Art and Engineering are collaborating on interdisciplinary teaching through 3D technologies. It is a very exciting new step.
The rendered piece below is a scan I took of the piece I posted prior to this post. It is a terra-cotta sculpture that I make in my own art practice through ram-pressing powdered clays. I took snapshots in CURA (printing software) of multiple angles to give an idea of the form I will be printing in 3 Dimensions.
This is the interior shot of a new piece that was recently fired. I find the sublet changes in texture and hues of color draw me into this piece more each time I look at it. The contrast of the exteriors smooth soft qualities heighten the rough cracked and torn interior of the vessel.
I started with an object that I created. This piece was made using my personal technique by ram-pressing powdered clays into a mold. This method lends itself well to raw color and textures that I am attracted to in my work. After the piece was fired it was ready to be scanned. The process of 3D printing starts with 3D scanning the object with my "Sense" Cubify scanner. This 360 degree scan captured the piece and allowed me to further rendering it in other softwares (tinker cad). The next step is to create layers for printing and to translate the object into G-code. This was achieved through the software Slic3r. This process of examine the layers is similar to an MRI. After all of this is complete next comes the actual 3D printing of my artwork.